Thursday 21 January 2010

Our Poster.

This is the finished poster. I created it using Adobe Photoshop. I used original images and fonts.

When it came to actually creating the poster, I had to take into account the analysis's I'd conducted of other posters. I decided to make the image the main focus point of my poster and revolve everything else around it.
To make the image stand out, I too the original image of me, Harry and Will and cut us out of it. I then put this cut image on the background of a photoshop document and coloured the rest of the background in grey. The use of the grey background allows every other layer added above it, to stand out. The title, image and text all stands out from the rest of the page as it is coloured white and is place upon the plain grey background.
Once I'd inserted the image I then added an "outer glow" effect to the edges. This was to give the impression that the characters are separate from the drab, dark background (which represents their childhood/upbringing) and standout in society as power figures and Superior people. I then added a slight "inner glow" effect which made the characters stand out even further from the background. This also allowed me to put text over the image as it wouldn't blend in or be hidden by the image.

The next focus of the poster was the film title itself. I didn't want to use the same font for the title as the rest of the text as it wouldn't stand out. Will designed the font for the website. I thought we ought to keep some similarity between both the poster and the website so will e-mailed me the font which I then used for the film title. I also made sure that the title was coloured white as was the other text, this further kept similarity within the poster and the website and also allowed the text, once again, to stand out. We also didn't want to use a font that was common, we wanted the title to have its own image and therefore chose to create a font solely for use on the website and poster. This further added to the professionalism of the website and the poster.

Then, when comparing my poster the others I have analysed, it does share some similar codes and conventions. For example, the use of the light coloured text and pictures upon a dark background is a common trend in 'gangster' posters. The costume used in the picture is also similar to that of other images used in gangster posters. All the characters in my poster are wearing smart suits, this highlights the 'power' and 'superiority' of the characters.
Another similarity with other film posters is the use of the phrase "From the people who brought you..." this is quite often found on posters that are advertising films from a major pioneering director.

If I could do it again I would change the background of the poster. Although the plain grey is effective in highlighting the foreground, it is however boring and dull looking. I would insert a still image from the film faded into the background.

I would like to think that my poster reflects and holds conventions of traditional, professional gangster film posters. I feel that it shares similar characteristics with other posters and has a professional look.

- James Banister

No comments:

Post a Comment